maandag 19 mei 2008

Home Cooking

Today I'll tell a little bit about my home cooking. You may already know or perhaps not, but I do like cooking. At the moment it's Kazumi that goes out working all day long, so I usually prepare the evening dinner.

I do have some limited cooking experience from my time in Leuven, but cooking here in Japan is a little bit more challenging. "Why?" you might ask yourself. Well...

Firstly the Japanese diet is quite a bit different from our Belgian one. And of course I'm most familiar with Belgian dishes. As a consequence I've mainly prepared western food so far. Like for example spaghetti, beef stew, ... Luckily these were appreciated by Kazumi. Problem with cooking western style food is the cost though. Often ingredients are needed that are not so typical for Japan and hence they are pricy.

Another problem I have to deal with is the limited kitchen infrastructure: a very small fridge and only a single cooking plate. Not very practical, but you get used to it.

Today I prepared a Japanese dinner for a change. 「つくねとかぼちゃの煮もの」and「小松菜のひたし」. Or in English "A cooked dish of chicken meatloaf and Japanese pumpkin" and "Vegetable side dish with rape".Of course both are complemented by a bowl of rice. I have to admit it was a pretty tasty meal.

Yesterday we had sushi with a variety of side dishes. All prepared by Kazumi who still is not very confident about her cooking.

1 opmerking:

Anoniem zei

Ik krijg al heimwee naar Japan als ik die sushi zie. Meer bepaald naar de heerlijke sushi die mijn vriendin maakt, naar mijn bescheiden mening een pak beter dan eender wat ge hier in Belgie vindt...

Hoe dan ook, hopelijk heb je het daar naar uw zin!

Groetjes,
Tijl